Författare Ämne: Conditioning for HEMA  (läst 16496 gånger)

Utloggad Meg Godbout

• Antal inlägg: 4
    • Visa profil
Conditioning for HEMA
« skrivet: 2010-10-18, 23:39:51 »
Hej all. I am writing to ask a question about conditioning for HEMA.

One thing I have noticed, both when Imet Anders and Axel at Houston in March 2010 and watching the videos you've posted on Youtube, is that you all seem to be very fit and in great physical condition--perhaps why you guys have produced so many excellent fighters. :)I am currently developing the conditioning regimen for the fight schule over here in Tampa. Do you all have any thoughts on creating a good program, especially for keeping students engaged?

My first thought is, of course, running together, doing footwork drills for agility, and some specalized weight-lifting exercises for increasing twitch reflexes. Any input or experience you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere." --Beowulf

"Do your own time, not anybody else's." --American Gods

Utloggad Axel Pettersson

• GHFS tränare
  • Antal inlägg: 3252
  • tränare f-grupp långsvärd
    • Visa profil
Re: Conditioning for HEMA
« Svar #1 skrivet: 2010-10-19, 08:58:55 »
Hi Meg!

Anders made a lecture about this subject at last years Swordfish, you can find the whole lecture online here ghfs.se/Nyheter/tabid/56/ctl/Details/mid/408/ItemID/63/language/sv-SE/Default.aspx

here are some old videos of our workout routines (pre training and post training):

pre traininig): www.youtube.com/watch

(post training) www.youtube.com/watch

both videos are old, we don't do it exactly like that anymore, but then again we tend to vary our routines alot. Hope this helps!

/A
"When in doubt, escalate beyond all reasonable expectations."

Utloggad Tim Brogren

• Antal inlägg: 204
    • Visa profil
« Svar #2 skrivet: 2010-10-19, 10:54:55 »
Hey Meg!

I have got inspired of parkour, especially the variation of push-ups. Some of their stunts are really hard, so you got to select your favourites. The good thing is that you have losts of things to build on. One other thing is that you often don't need any equipment , 'cuz you use in your own bodyweight, so you can be anywhere and still get a great workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X15VRzQHq2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxLRJLpZI_c&feature=related
?Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do criticize them, you?re a mile away AND YOU HAVE THEIR SHOES!?

Utloggad Robert Molin

• Antal inlägg: 2151
  • Grundkurstränare långsvärd. Suppleant I styrelsen.
    • Visa profil
« Svar #3 skrivet: 2010-10-20, 22:56:41 »
Citera
anonymous wrote

Hey Meg!

I have got inspired of parkour, especially the variation of push-ups. Some of their stunts are really hard, so you got to select your favourites. The good thing is that you have losts of things to build on. One other thing is that you often don't need any equipment , 'cuz you use in your own bodyweight, so you can be anywhere and still get a great workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X15VRzQHq2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxLRJLpZI_c&feature=related

This is really my post. To slow, so it accidentely stuck to Tim's profile. Sorry for that Engström and Meg.
Se upp! Hoppas snart på en utvecklingskurva...UPPÅT!

Utloggad Anders Linnard

• GHFS tränare
  • Antal inlägg: 3434
  • Grundare, huvudinstruktör, tränare f-grupp långsv.
    • Visa profil
« Svar #4 skrivet: 2010-10-21, 08:00:21 »
Hi Meg!Good to see you here!

The links Axel posted are what we have produced so far in ways of describing our routines, and how to build explosive strength. There are thousands of good videos on youtube for more exercises and tips. The hard thing is to know the difference between what works and what doesn't for our type of MA especially.

In the end it is hard to build a programme that works for everybody, you will have to compromise at some point. A martial artist needs to be strong, explosive, have good stamina, be flexible etc. It's very allround, so to speak. So the exercises need to take that in to account, activating the whole body. Also, on an individual level people need different things. Some might need to lose weight, some gain weight, some need cardio etc. And most need a little bit of everything. And the real downside is that you cannot train all things effectively at the same time.

So in GHFS training programme we focus on interval and explosive training, since it has weight loss advantages and is generally healthy and helps gain quicker results for most people. Having said that most people in GHFS would probably benefit greatly by increasing their maximum strength by hitting those heavy weights.As I say in the video, that is also the best way of increasing your explosiveness once you have done as much as you can with what you already have.

Here are some good sites:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com

http://rosstraining.com/blog/

THis guy also has some good videos with workout for fighters, as inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/user/irongriffon
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Churchill

Utloggad Meg Godbout

• Visa profil
« Svar #5 skrivet: 2010-10-21, 21:41:40 »
Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. I am probably going to adapt and modify the old calisthenics routines I was taught while studying kung fu, as they were great for explosive strength and flexibility of your general body. I am going to have to do some research on building upper body strength, though, as most of the exercises I know focus on the core muscles and the legs and getting your hips flexible enough to move around in retarded stances.

Thank you also for the advice on having to compromise routines to the members of our club. The fitness level of our club is widely variegated. We have some extremely fit members in their prime who go mountain biking and rock-climbing fairly frequently, to quasi-fit members whose only real exercise is fencing, to beginners like me who are just starting out running/fencing/exercising again after a long period of being lazy. Chances are we'll develop our core conditioning routines around those existing members who actually WANT to condition for HEMA and then shape it to new students as enrollment increases.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Speaking of, I really think we should do a HEMA-themed calendar photoshoot of all our favorite fighters holding pretty swords--then all that conditioning will come in handy. I, for one, am tired of my old Rocky Mountains calendar.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere." --Beowulf

Utloggad Axel Pettersson

• GHFS tränare
  • Antal inlägg: 3252
  • tränare f-grupp långsvärd
    • Visa profil
« Svar #6 skrivet: 2010-10-22, 11:56:33 »
There actually already exists such a calendar :), might be time for an American version though.
"When in doubt, escalate beyond all reasonable expectations."

Utloggad Meg Godbout

• Visa profil
« Svar #7 skrivet: 2010-10-22, 17:42:25 »
Oh yeah, where is it?

;)It will help me with my Swedish.

Utloggad Anders Linnard

• GHFS tränare
  • Antal inlägg: 3434
  • Grundare, huvudinstruktör, tränare f-grupp långsv.
    • Visa profil
« Svar #8 skrivet: 2010-10-25, 10:52:27 »
You should speak to Fab and his wife Sarah. :)

/A
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Churchill